I just sent the email below to lots of the candidates running for city council in my little burb. I’m hoping a few will reply.
I’m your neighbor; I live at XXXXXXX. Anyhow, I’m emailing as many city council candidates as I can, looking for their thoughts on a few topics.
I would like to copy and paste anything you send me in my blog. I get very little traffic from locals; most of my posts deal with fairly obscure computer science issues.
So, here’s the topics:
- Cleveland has red-light cameras. Should Cleveland Heights (CH) have red-light cameras?
- Cleveland now allows people to keep chickens in their backyards. Should CH?
- Should we ban or regulate gas leaf blowers?
- If you couldn’t vote for yourself, what other candidate would you pick?
And here’s my opinions on those topics:
- I have nothing against red-light cameras in theory. But when I lived in DC, the city put them at intersections where lights were poorly timed and traffic flows were confusing. So it turned into a way for the city skim huge amounts of cash from drivers that believed they were following the law.
I wouldn’t mind cameras as long as we clearly pointed them out way in advance of intersections. Also I believe we should be generous and give some number of warnings for each driver before the tickets count for anything.
- Yup. More generally, the city should do anything it can to encourage backyard and community vegetable gardens.
- On nice days when I work from home with all my windows open, everything is great until some landscaping crews show up. I don’t like banning things, but I would like to create incentives for landscaping firms to explore less noisy options.
- No opinions here. I just started doing research.
Thanks for your time, and good luck!